Caroline Henry Art Blog
Okay, the photo is meant to be symbolic--with the CD representing all this "stuff" we need to learn besides continually exploring and improving our art skills. I'm one of those who did not grow up with computer skills; when I was a kid computers were few and huge. For perspective, the engineers on the Apollo project were busy with their slide rules when seen preparing to make adjustments to its flights. As for personal computers, I remember when floppy disks were actually floppy.
When I got my first little tan Apple Mac it was primarily for writing; before making images as an artist superseded the desire to create them in literature.
Some comments about technology as an essential to art marketing or even to being part of the larger conversation in the art community:
1. You wouldn't be reading this if you had not developed some computer skills.
2. If you are an artist, rather than simply an art lover/art collector, go back and read all the advice on ArtId related to technical skills and social networking (unless you are already using those marketing devices)
3. When I scan for ArtId.com on Twitter, I find almost no one using it to list their items. I checked hoping to follow other ArtId artists on Twitter. While the Traffic Statistics here don't allow me to check responses to individual listings, I can do so on Etsy. Since I started listing items an Twitter and Facebook, my views have grown enormously. I'm guessing the items I've listed that are on ArtId have had a similar response.
4. A number of ArtId artists are making You Tube videos on creating their art. That is on my to-do list. I'm at the editing point. this is utterly new to me.
5. I got Photoshop Elements and started to use it because I couldn't do everything with the limited program I had that I needed to in order to participate in the ICN program.
6. I feel like i'm just getting started on the skills I need. Fortunately when I get something right it's sort of...almost....as fun as getting things right in a painting or drawing I'm working on.
7. My efforts to become a better marketer have helped me discover some very cool people.